Job Posted May 18, 2018:
Title: Research Laboratory Director
Position Type: Full time/salaried
Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: Applications are currently being reviewed
Biotia is an early stage startup working with hospitals to reduce the rate of hospital acquired infections. Biotia leverages next-generation sequencing (NGS) and smart systems to identify and track pathogens, antimicrobial resistance and risk before patients get sick. Biotia is rapidly growing and facing increasing workload due to demonstrated traction with current and prospective customers.
Position Summary: We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as Research Laboratory Director.
The Director will provide an important leadership role in Research by overseeing the day to day operations of the Biotia Laboratory and the performance of discovery and development studies in the field of NGS based microbial identification. The successful candidate will conduct a wide range of Research including adoption of cutting edge sequencing technology (e.g. Illumina, Pacbio, Oxford Nanopore Technology [ONT]), development of novel collection protocols and materials, optimization of sample collection and processing, decreasing sample processing turn around time, decreasing cost of sample processing, and optimization of NGS-based microbial detection methods and comparison to traditional microbiology tests (e.g. culturing, PCR). The Director will have a key role in working directly with Biotia leadership in the planning and implementation of all laboratory processes and procedures in addition to the forecasting of resource and equipment needs and the reporting of results from laboratory testing. We are currently building a new lab so the Director will be setting up the lab, conducting all daily operations in the lab including the processing of hospital samples, and will be involved in the hiring process as we expand. As we expand in addition to overseeing a team of dedicated research associates, the Director of the Research Laboratory will also have the opportunity to conduct hands on research in support of Biotia's Research efforts, and is expected to publish and present at scientific meetings. The Director will also work directly with hospital customers implementing pilots, managing, processing, and reporting on patient and environmentally collected samples. The incumbent will be a key partner with the Biotia leadership and will work to continuously improve the technical performance of the lab across all domains, including the design, conduct and reporting of work conducted in the lab.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include leading the daily operations as well as laboratory development of genomic technologies and new products supporting NGS-based assays for infectious diseases.
- Organize and run a diverse genomics laboratory with a wide research base.
- Activities will include the handling, maintenance and study of environmentally- and patient-collected NGS samples as well as conducting basic microbiology assays.
- Set up lab including ordering necessary equipment and reagents, developing an organizational system and optimization of turn around time and cost/sample.
- Buy equipment and reagents. Manage all lab ordering.
- Processing incoming samples including DNA extraction, QC, library preparation, pooling, and sequencing on different platforms including Illumina, Pacbio, and ONT.
- Communication: weekly meetings with leadership and employees, attending conferences, training and teaching Biotia personnel, publishing, staying abreast of breaking technologies.
- Traveling to hospitals to launch new pilots. Training hospital personnel in sample collection and sequencing techniques. Providing technical support for customers.
- Serve as Study Director for advanced or specialized NGS studies. Duties here include test scheduling, test preparation, proper application of test method(s), data collection, data review, and approval of final report of analysis.
- Process all samples and conduct lab work until we expand, then help with the hiring process and provide technical and scientific guidance to scientists working in the lab and the laboratory manager.
- Lead the development, implementation, and maintenance of systems, processes, and plans to ensure that results of experiments are delivered in a compliant manner, and within quality, cost and timeline parameters as agreed with Biotia leadership.
- Develop long term strategic plan so that the lab functions at the highest level of quality, including the forecasting of resource, reagent, equipment and staffing needs to maintain the highest standards of scientific and technical excellence and efficiency in the laboratory.
- Play a lead role in the development, review and approval of Research SOP's, protocols, and reports.
- Maintain working knowledge of current industry standards and practices pertaining to samples collections, samples processing, laboratory equipment, NGS, microbiology (including clinical microbiology), pathology.
- Represent Biotia externally to scientific experts, regulators, development partners and funding agencies in conjunction with Biotia leadership.
- Contribute to the authorship of regulatory submissions (IRBs, BLAs, MAAs, etc.), as well as other documents such as Investigator Brochures, NGS manuals for clinical studies, IMPDs, and similar documents.
- Author scientific abstracts, manuscripts and reports. Present data at scientific meetings, and grant review meetings.
- Supervise, motivate, review, and develop direct reports through mentorship, training and identification of other learning opportunities.
Education, Experience, Skills
- A MS, or PhD in biology, genomics, microbiology, biochemistry or a related field is required, with at least 5 years of post-graduate research work in an academic, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or CRO setting.
- Extensive ‘hands on’ experience and knowledge in areas of genomics, molecular biology, microbiology is required. Experience in successful management of a research laboratory in an academic, pharmaceutical industry or biotechnology setting or experience managing a CRO laboratory in relevant discipline (e.g. genomics).
- Experience in project management strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated the ability to carry out independent research through the design, conduct, and reporting of research studies.
- A solid track record of peer-reviewed publications and scientific presentations in biology, molecular biology, microbiology, genomics, metagenomics or a related field.
- A complete working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice, Safety Operating Procedure (for BSL-1 and BSL-2 laboratories) and Good Documentation Practice is required.
- Solid leadership skills required. Must be able to give directions clearly. Must be able to lead both by example and through direct instruction. Must be able to build consensus among a group of individuals. Good listening skills required. Must be able to actively elicit feedback from staff.
- Ability to learn and stay up-to-date with new practices and standards relevant to (but not limited to) sample collection/preparation, samples shipment, NGS, microbiology and clinical tests.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong formal presentation and analytical skills.
- Ability to present complex genomic data to a wide range of audiences including: hospital customers, investors, internal project teams, academic experts/leaders in the field, grant reviewers, and development partners.
- Excellent people and project management skills.
- Ability and desire to successfully work with a collaborative, fast‐paced project team in an entrepreneurial work environment.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and successfully communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and project management skills.
Salary and Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Please send CV and cover letter to Dr. O'Hara at firstname.lastname@example.org