A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of the urinary system. The urinary system includes the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. Most infections involve the lower urinary tract — the bladder and the urethra.
UTIs don't always cause symptoms. When they do, they may include:
- A strong urge to urinate that doesn't go away
- A burning feeling when urinating
- Urinating often, and passing small amounts of urine
- Urine that looks cloudy
- Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored — signs of blood in the urine
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain, in women — especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone
A large number of pathogens can cause UTIs including gram negative bacteria, gram positive bacteria, and anaerobes.
Getting fast and accurate testing for UTIs is paramount for successful patient outcomes. Biotia-ID Urine provided quick, reliable, and accurate testing to help aid doctors in their selection of treatment options. When treated promptly and properly, lower urinary tract infections rarely lead to complications. But left untreated, UTIs can cause serious health problems.
Complications of a UTI may include:
- Repeated infections, which means you have two or more UTIs within six months or three or more within a year. Women are especially prone to having repeated infections
- Permanent kidney damage from a kidney infection due to an untreated UTI.
- Delivering a low birth weight or premature infant when a UTI occurs during pregnancy.
- A narrowed urethra in men from having repeated infections of the urethra.
- Sepsis, a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection. This is a risk especially if the infection travels up the urinary tract to the kidneys.
Biotia offers the Biotia-ID Urine NGS assay, which is a quick and accurate test allowing for detection of infection causing pathogens.
BIOTIA-ID Urine NGS assay is changing the gold standard of patient care with its faster, more sensitve, and more comprehensive test, BIOTIA-ID Urine allows physicians to obtain more meaninful results in a quicker time frame when compared to urine culture. Standard culture methodologies leave 30% of UTIs undiagnosed. BIOTIA-ID Urine also reduces the number of false negative calls (which improves the patient's chance at receiving the correct treatment).
At this time, Biotia performs testing only when ordered by a healthcare provider. We are currently unable to provide tests directly to patients.
Upon receipt of your sample, results will be available in 48 hours.
The results will indicate the detection of specific infection causing pathogens. Your physician will use this information to determine the best course of treatment.
We are currently working with insurance companies to support reimbursement for our test. Please contact Biotia for additional pricing information.